Updated: November 28, 2018
The Simons Foundation may provide additional or supplemental privacy notices to individuals at the time we collect their data. This privacy notice will govern how we may process the information you provide at that time.
We provide important information for individuals located in the European Union here.
Table of Contents
Personal Information We Collect
Information you give us
We collect personal information about individuals who interact with the Simons Foundation, including by using our website, subscribing to our publications, applying for a grant, applying for a job, and registering for or attending an event. The types of personal information we collect include:
- Personal and business contact information, such as your name, job title and employer name, email address, social media handles, mailing address, social media handle and phone number
- Information about grant applicants, job applicants and similar individuals, such as professional credentials, educational and work history, present and past institutional affiliations, publications, research interests, areas of professional focus or specialization, and other information of the type typically included on a resume, curriculum vitae or scientific research grant application
- Information provided when attending one of our meetings or events, such as information about your travel and lodging, meal preferences and professional biography
- Profile information, such as the username and password that you set to establish an online account with us, your photograph, your interests and your preferences
- Personal information that may be contained in content that you choose to submit to us, such as grant applications, proposal documents or other content you transmit to us online
- Financial information we need to pay for services that individuals may provide to us, such as tax identification number and financial account information
- Feedback and correspondence, such as information you provide when interacting with us by email, on phone calls or through other methods of communication, such as posting public comments
- Usage information, such as information about how you use our websites and interact with us, including information associated with any content you upload to the websites or otherwise submit to us, and information you provide when you use any interactive features of the websites
- Subscription information, such your preferences for receiving communications about our activities, events, and publications, and details about how you engage with our communications
Information we collect about individuals who interact with us in person
In addition to the types of information described above, we may collect additional types of information when individuals interact with us in person, such as when individuals visit our offices or attend one of our meetings or events. The types of personal information we collect in these contexts include:
- Photo and video recordings of our events
- CCTV security footage of the public areas inside and outside of our offices
Information we collect from third parties
Information automatically collected
Sensitive personal information
We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose to us, any sensitive personal information (e.g., Social Security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) unless we specifically request that information from you.
How We Use Your Personal Information
To provide our services
We use your personal information to provide our services in the following ways:
- to operate, maintain, administer and improve our websites, services, programs, events, and other charitable and scientific activities
- to publish our newsletters, magazines and other communications
- to attribute authorship to academic and promotional materials
- to review and respond to grant applications, proposals and other documents you submit to us
- to analyze the effectiveness of our grants and initiatives we have supported
- to manage and communicate with you regarding your Simons Foundation account, if you have one, including by sending you service announcements, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages
- to better understand your needs and interests and to personalize your experience with the websites
- to provide support and maintenance for the websites
- to respond to your requests, questions and feedback
To communicate with you
If you request information from us (such as signing up for our newsletter or publications), register on our websites or request resources from us in order to support our mission, we may send you Simons Foundation–related marketing communications as permitted by law. You will have the ability to opt out of such communications.
To manage our recruiting and to process employment applications
We use personal information, such as information submitted to us in a job application, to facilitate our recruitment activities, to process employment applications, such as by evaluating a job candidate for an employment activity, and to monitor recruitment statistics.
To comply with law
We use your personal information as we believe necessary or appropriate to comply with applicable laws, lawful requests and legal processes.
With your consent
We will request your consent to use your personal information where required by law, such as where we use certain cookies or similar technologies or would like to send you certain marketing messages. You have the right to withdraw your consent any time in the manner that was indicated when we requested the consent or at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have consented to receive marketing communications from our third-party partners, you may withdraw your consent by contacting those partners directly.
To create anonymous data for analytics
We may create anonymous data from your personal information and other individuals whose personal information we collect. We make personal information into anonymous data by excluding information that makes the data personally identifiable to you, and use that anonymous data for business purposes.
For scientific research or statistical purposes, or for purposes of archiving in the public interest
As a foundation focused on the advancement of science, we may process personal data for a variety of purposes associated with our organizational mission. This includes processing personal information for scientific research or statistical purposes or for purposes of archiving in the public interest.
For compliance, fraud prevention and safety
We use your personal information as we believe necessary or appropriate to (a) enforce the terms and conditions that govern the service; (b) protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of you or others; and (c) protect, investigate and deter against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity.
As stated in a supplemental privacy notice
In some circumstances, we may provide a supplemental privacy notice that explains how we use personal information in a specific context.
How We Share Your Personal Information
Disclosures about grant recipients
We publish information on our website about recipients of our research grants, including name, research topic and amount of funding, and may disclose this type of information directly to third parties.
We may disclose your personal information to professional advisers, such as lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers, where necessary in the course of the professional services that they render to us.
Compliance with laws and law enforcement; protection and safety
We may disclose information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as required by law, and disclose and use such information as we believe necessary or appropriate to (a) comply with applicable laws and lawful requests and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas; (b) enforce the terms and conditions that govern our websites; (c) protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of you or others; and (d) protect, investigate and deter against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity.
Access, update, correct or delete your information
An individual who has registered for an account with us may review, update, correct or delete the personal information in their account profile by logging into their account.
You may opt out of marketing-related emails by following the instructions contained at the bottom of our emails, or by contacting us at email@example.com. You may continue to receive service-related and other nonmarketing emails.
Online behavioral advertising
Some of the partners that collect information about users’ activities on our websites may be members of organizations or programs that provide choices to individuals regarding targeted advertising. Users may opt out of receiving targeted advertising on websites through members of the Network Advertising Initiative by clicking here or the Digital Advertising Alliance by clicking here. European users may opt out of receiving targeted advertising on websites through members of the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance by clicking here, selecting the user’s country and then clicking “Choices” (or similarly titled link). In addition, individuals may opt out of receiving targeted advertising through SiteScout by clicking here.
If you choose to opt out of targeted advertisements, you will still see advertisements online, but they may not be relevant to you. Even if you do choose to opt out, not all companies that serve online behavioral advertising are included in this list, and so you may still receive some cookies and tailored advertisements from companies that are not listed.
“Do Not Track” signals
Some Internet browsers may be configured to send “Do Not Track” signals to the online services that you visit. We currently do not honor “Do Not Track” signals. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” please visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
Choosing not to share your personal information
You may choose not to provide personal information to us. However, we may not be able to provide services to you if we are required to collect your personal information or if we need your personal information in order to provide the services. We will tell you what information you must provide to receive our services by designating it as required or through other appropriate means.
We take a number of organizational, technical and physical measures designed to protect the personal information we collect, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no security safeguards are 100% secure, and we cannot guarantee the security of your information.
Our websites are not intended for children under 16. If you become aware that a child has provided us with information without parental or guardian consent, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will delete such information from our files as soon as reasonably practicable.
Simons Foundation is headquartered in the United States and may have service providers in other countries. Your personal information may be transferred to the United States or other locations outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your jurisdiction.
European Union users should read the important information provided here about transfer of personal information outside of the European Economic Area (EEA).
Other Sites and Services
Our websites may contain links to other websites and services. These links are not an endorsement, authorization or representation that we are affiliated with that third party. We do not exercise control over third-party websites or services and are not responsible for their actions. Other websites and services may follow different rules regarding the use or disclosure of the personal information you submit to them. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of the other websites you visit and services you use.
Attn: Legal – Privacy
160 Fifth Ave., 7th Floor
New York, NY 10010
Additional Information for European Union Users
Controller and Data Protection Officer
Our Data Protection Officer’s contact information is:
160 Fifth Ave., 7th floor
New York, NY 10010
See the Contact Us section above for contact details.
Legal bases for processing
We use your personal information only as permitted by law. We are required to inform you of the legal bases of our processing of your personal information, which are described in the table below. If you have questions about the legal bases of how we process your personal information, contact us at email@example.com.
|Processing purpose||Legal basis|
|To provide our services||Processing is necessary to perform the contract governing our provision of the services or to take steps that you request prior to signing up for our services.
In addition, these processing activities may constitute our legitimate interests.
|To communicate with you
To manage our recruiting and process employment applications
To create anonymous data for analytics
For compliance, fraud prevention and safety
|These processing activities constitute our legitimate interests. We make sure we consider and balance any potential impact on you (both positive and negative) and your rights before we process your personal information for our legitimate interests. We do not use your personal information for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to by law).|
|For scientific research or statistical purposes, or for purposes of archiving in the public interest||These processing activities constitute our legitimate interests and in some cases may be necessary for the performance of a contract.|
|To comply with law||Processing is necessary to comply with our legal obligations.|
Use for new purposes
We will retain your personal information only for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collected it, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting or reporting requirements. When we process personal information for archiving purposes in the public interest, we will typically retain information indefinitely.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal information, we consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal information, the purposes for which we process your personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
When we no longer require the personal information we have otherwise collected about you, we will dissociate such information from the information attached to your content. In some circumstances we may anonymize your personal information (so that it can no longer be associated with you), in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
European data protection laws give European Union users certain rights regarding their personal information. If you are located within the European Union, you may ask us to take the following actions in relation to your personal information that we hold:
- Opt out. Stop sending you direct marketing communications. You may continue to receive service-related and other nonmarketing emails.
- Access. Provide you with information about our processing of your personal information and give you access to your personal information.
- Correct. Update or correct inaccuracies in your personal information.
- Delete. Delete your personal information.
- Transfer. Transfer a machine-readable copy of your personal information to you or a third party of your choice.
- Restrict. Restrict the processing of your personal information.
- Object. Object to our reliance on our legitimate interests as the basis of our processing of your personal information.
You can submit these requests by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or our postal address provided above. We may request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and process your request. Applicable law may require or permit us to decline your request. If we decline your request, we will tell you why, subject to legal restrictions. If you would like to submit a complaint about our use of your personal information or response to your requests regarding your personal information, you may contact us as described above or submit a complaint to the data protection regulator in your jurisdiction. You can find your data protection regulator here.
Cross-border data transfer
Whenever we transfer your personal information out of the EEA to countries not deemed by the European Commission to provide an adequate level of personal information protection, the transfer will be based on one of the following safeguards recognized by the European Commission as providing adequate protection for personal information, where required by EU data protection legislation:
- Pursuant to the recipient’s compliance with standard contractual clauses, EU-US Privacy Shield or Binding Corporate Rules,
- Pursuant to the consent of the individual to whom the personal information pertains, or
- As otherwise permitted by applicable EEA requirements.
Please contact us if you want further information on the specific mechanism used by us when transferring your personal information out of the EEA.